Brief update about software freedom and artificial intelligence
Daniel Lange
2023-03-23 14:30:01 UTC
I note that fair use isn't a worldwide concept and other parts of the
world have the more varied and restricted concept of "fair dealing".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Influence_internationally
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing
So, as much as possible, we should try not to rely on fair use.
The Wikimedia Foundation fellow and legal counsel Valentina Vera-Quiroz
(CC) has documented her current expertise around ChatGPT and Copyright at

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilegal/Copyright_Analysis_of_ChatGPT

I just wanted to drop the link on this thread as it starts to be a good
collection of references. We may need that some time in the future.
Russ Allbery
2023-03-23 16:20:01 UTC
Post by Daniel Lange
I note that fair use isn't a worldwide concept and other parts of the
world have the more varied and restricted concept of "fair dealing".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use#Influence_internationally
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing
So, as much as possible, we should try not to rely on fair use.
The Wikimedia Foundation fellow and legal counsel Valentina Vera-Quiroz
(CC) has documented her current expertise around ChatGPT and Copyright at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilegal/Copyright_Analysis_of_ChatGPT
Oh, thank you very much for this link, and thank you to Valentina for
writing this!

The section "Can you use copyright-protected works to train AI models?"
says exactly what I was attempting to say in my previous contributions to
this thread, except more clearly, accurately, and succinctly. Anyone who
was reading my previous messages should just go read that instead.
--
Russ Allbery (***@debian.org) <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>