Is GeneralUser soundfont's license suitable for Debian main?
undef
2023-03-22 21:10:01 UTC
Hello.

GeneralUser GS [1] is a SoundFont bank for playing MIDI files. Its
license contains such sentences:

---

** License of the complete work **
You may use GeneralUser GS without restriction for your own music
creation, private or commercial.  This SoundFont bank is provided to the
community free of charge.  Please feel free to use it in your software
projects, and to modify the SoundFont bank or its packaging to suit your
needs.

** License of contained samples **
GeneralUser GS inherits the usage rights of the samples contained
within, all of which allow full use in music production, including the
ability to make profit from musical recordings created with GeneralUser GS.

Many of the samples are original, but some were taken from other banks
freely (and legally) available on the Internet from various SoundFont
websites.  Because GeneralUser GS originated as a personal project with
no intention for publication, I cannot be 100% sure where all of the
samples originated, although I do know that none of them came from
commercially published SoundFont packages or sample CDs.  Regardless,
many "free" SoundFonts available on the web may indeed contain samples
of questionable origin.  My understanding of the copyrights of all
samples is only as good as the information provided by the original
sources. If you become aware of any restricted samples being used in
GeneralUser GS, please let me know so I can replace them.

This uncertainty may concern you if you intend to use GeneralUser GS in
a commercial software product.  That being said, I have never received
any complaint regarding sample ownership since I published the original
GeneralUser GS back in 2000, and as far as I am aware, neither have any
of the companies creating commercial software products using GeneralUser GS.

--

Could you say, is "License of contained samples" allowable for Debian or
such files are fully non-allowed?

[1] https://www.schristiancollins.com/generaluser.php
Paul Wise
2023-03-23 00:40:02 UTC
Post by undef
** License of the complete work **
You may use GeneralUser GS without restriction for your own music
creation, private or commercial.  This SoundFont bank is provided to the
community free of charge.  Please feel free to use it in your software
projects, and to modify the SoundFont bank or its packaging to suit your
needs.
I'm not comfortable with how this mentions specific ways the soundfont
can be used; "your own music creation", "in your software". What about
other people's music or other people's software? This is especially
problematic for collaboratively produced open source software.
Post by undef
Could you say, is "License of contained samples" allowable for Debian or
such files are fully non-allowed?
I don't think this license would pass ftp-master review, there is too
much uncertainty about the provenance and license of the samples.
--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise
undef
2023-03-23 11:40:01 UTC
Post by Paul Wise
I don't think this license would pass ftp-master review, there is too
much uncertainty about the provenance and license of the samples.
Thank you for the answer.

Also I found this soundfont in the existing Debian package minuet-data by path
/usr/share/minuet/soundfonts/GeneralUser-v1.47.sf2. [1]

--
[1] https://packages.debian.org/sid/all/minuet-data/filelist
Paul Wise
2023-03-24 03:10:01 UTC
Post by undef
Also I found this soundfont in the existing Debian package minuet-data by path
/usr/share/minuet/soundfonts/GeneralUser-v1.47.sf2. [1]
I suggest you bring this to the attention of minuet-data upstream and
also file a bug about it in Debian if you didn't already.